Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Valentine's Day Adventure.

After my AMAZING weekend in Dallas, I got up yesterday morning and headed for the airport.  Sad--Nothing like leaving your fiance for a month on Valentine's Day. 

Here's what my flight itinerary was supposed to look like:

Dallas to Baltimore-- 8:05am CST (with a quick stop in Oklahoma City where I don't get off the plane)
Baltimore to Raleigh-- 2:25pm ET
Land in Raleigh at 3:30
Home by 5pm

Everything was going smoothly that morning.  There was fog in Dallas, but it was rolling out and the sun coming in, so we were all set.  We boarded the airplane, pulled away from the gate onto the tarmac... and stopped.  

Oklahoma City apparently had gotten a bunch of ice/snow the day before and had a heavy fog that meant there was not sufficient visibility to land there.  So, we sat on the tarmac in Dallas for over an hour before the fog lifts and we can finally take off.  By this time, it was almost 9:30.  

Then, we get close to Oklahoma City, and the pilot makes a sharp turn with the announcement that the fog has rolled back in to OKC, so we're going to fly around for a bit until they can try to "shoot the gap" in the fog.  Awesome.

After hovering and making laps for about 30 minutes, we finally land.  The OKC passengers get on the plane, but we're running REALLY late for my connecting flight.  With all the delays, I'll have all of 15 minutes to land, run through the terminal, and catch my flight before it leaves.  But there's nothing that I can really do, so I sit back, read my book, and doze off as we make our way agonizingly slowly across the country.  

Once we approach Baltimore, we start to descend.  We break through the clouds, buildings start getting bigger, trees grow closer...  And then we head back up.  And I see the runway beneath us-- FAR beneath us.  A few minutes later, the captain comes over the speaker and says that there was a crosswind on our runway, so we have to come back and approach on a different runway.  

By that point, my flight home had already left.  We finally landed, and I got off the plane to hang out in Baltimore for the next flight to Raleigh, which was only 3 1/2 hours later...  Thank goodness that I brought my laptop (which I usually don't) and was able to find some free WiFi.  The Baltimore airport was actually pretty cool, and I got some stuff done.  But, I was just so ready to get home.

I finally made into Raleigh around 7pm.  I've had some great fortune traveling, so I guess it can't always be perfect.  And I'll take getting home late from seeing Donny over being late arriving to see Donny anytime.

Speaking of which-- since he knew I'd spend my Valentine's Day on an airplane and we wouldn't get to be together, Donny sent me these at work today.  Happy VDay to me!  :)


  1. Sorry your flights got all jacked up! But the roses are beautiful :)

  2. Ugh, nothing like traveling and being stuck in airports all day. =/ But at least you got some pretty roses the next day!! So sweet of him to send you some roses. =)

  3. So glad I got to see you this trip!! :) Glad you are home safe, sorry the flights home sucked. :(

    Love the flowers!!


  4. What a day! Glad you made it home safely and am happy you had a wonderful weekend! :)

  5. Glad you had these amazing flowers to balance it all out. so sweet. amazing post, love. if you get a sec I have a fabulous giveaway valued at $634.50 that I'd love for you to enter. xo

  6. Ahhh so annoying! This is why I avoid flights that aren't direct! Glad you finally made it home and I'm sure the roses the next day made up for it.