Thursday, August 1, 2013

DC Day 1.

Between the two of us, Donny and I took a good 400+ pictures of our four day trip. Trying to whittle them down to a non-overload amount for a blog post has proven to be very difficult!  

Our adventure began on Friday morning LONG before the sun was up.  We were out and on the road for over an hour before we got to see the beautiful sunrise!
We made it to Richmond after rush hour and had the easiest drive through the city I've ever experienced.  It was the same all the way to the beltway, and we made it to the metro right before 11am.  
First stop was our hotel to drop off our luggage.  By some miracle, I found this brand new Hampton Inn just a few blocks north of the White House for $109 a night!  It just opened in June, so I can only assume that I caught a grand opening sale when I booked it because the rooms are now almost twice that rate.  But it was a super nice place in the perfect location-- one block from a metro stop but also walking distance to the National Mall.  They also had a complimentary hot breakfast every morning!
After we dropped off our bags, we set out to explore a little bit.  We walked right by the White House, where there's always some protest going.  That particular day, it was about prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.  There were actually a good number of people watching this guy talk. 
But we quickly moved on to the National Museum of American History.  There is SO much to see at this museum.  We had planned on going to both the American History and Air & Space museums Friday afternoon, but American History just had so much to see that even at our warp-speed pace, we didn't get to both.
Some of my favorite parts were the Star Spangled Banner exhibit...
The Kermit the Frog puppet...
The Berlin Wall pieces...
The fragments of the World Trade Center...
And the Little Golden Books exhibit!

After we left the museum, we went back to the hotel to officially check in and get ready for baseball!  We got to Nationals Park around 5:30 for a 7pm game, and the gates weren't open.  There was a doubleheader that day, and the first game had run pretty long.  So, thanks to twitter, we found out that the gates weren't going to open until 6:20pm, which meant that we were going to stand in line for an hour.  By the time we finally got in the park and got to our seats my feet were KILLING me.
So, I got myself a cupcake to make me feel better. And boy did it work!
The park itself is really nice.  We had a great view from the upper deck on the third base side.
Dead Presidents Race
Not long after we got to our seats, Christy and her fiance (!!) arrived!  Christy and I have been blog friends for a really long time, so I was so glad that we got to meet up this weekend!  She and "The Pilot" are so fun, and the four of us had a blast.
View from the stadium
After being up since 4:30am and traveling all day, we didn't make it to the end of the game before it was time to metro it back to the hotel and get some much-needed sleep!


  1. WOW! You guys definitely packed in a lot!! Well done :)
    Were you able to go to the Bullpen before the game? Or was it insane?

  2. That't an amazing view. I mean, it's no Jerryworld but it's pretty nice. LOL
    Love the Little Golden Books exhibit! :)

  3. Great pics! The only good thing about being up early for a road trip is seeing the sunrise :) Looks like there's plenty to do in DC. I wanna visit!

  4. Whoa whoa whoa, Kermit the Frog is a PUPPET? He's not real??! ;)

    I'm so jealous- looks like y'all had a blast! I've always wanted to go to DC. It's on my list!!!


  5. That looks like fun! My favorite at the museum is Mr. Roger's sweater, hands down! I am excited to see where day 2 brought you :).

  6. Looks like fun. I really need to get back to DC one of these days!

  7. I really looks like you had a great trip!

  8. gosh your hotel looks super nice!!!! I went to DC on a band trip in 10th grade but I don't remember much about it! It's on the list of places for us to go back to, possibly for our anniversary weekend!